[Libreoffice-qa] How should Calc's WEBSERVICE function work?

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 13 02:00:00 PST 2014

Hey,

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 10:15 AM, Thomas Hackert <thackert at nexgo.de> wrote:

> Hello @ll,
> either I do not understand this function (which might be ... ;) ) or
> I found a bug in it ... :(
>
> When I
> 1. start Calc
> 2. then enter, for example, "=WEBSERVICE
> "
> http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/forecast?q=Berlin,de&mode=xml&units=metric
> ""
> in e.g. cell A1 (I have tried it with the German "=WEBDIENST
> "
> http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/forecast?q=Berlin,de&mode=xml&units=metric
> "").
>
> I get a cell with a lot of XML data in A1. Is this a feature or a
> bug? I had expected, that Calc would insert all the data in
> different cells, but without the XML code around ... :(

This is expected. It will just return the data that the url provides. There
is no calc function that will return data to multiple cells. Normally you
would further process that content with FILTERXML to get the data that you
need.

> BTW: Why are there that much M$ Excel functions flooding Pootle? It
> is really time consuming to find out, if they are patented, or
> protected by any other rights ... :(
> Have a nice day
> Thomas

Because they help interoperability and there is someone implementing them.

Regards,
Markus