[Libreoffice-qa] Backtracing in Windows XP

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 12 10:39:05 CET 2014

Hi Pedro, *,

On Wednesday, February 12, 2014, Pedro <pedlino at gmail.com> wrote:

> Christian Lohmaier-3 wrote
> > and then the browser
> > plugin crashes and takes LO down with it. Whether it crashes because
> > LO feeds it wrong data or of some other reason, that I don't know..
>
> That doesn't make much sense to me.

That makes perfect sense. The whole point of embedding ole objects is to
have other programs handle stuff that the application itself cannot handle.

> Why is it using the Firefox plugin? What
> would happen if I didn't use Firefox?

Because it knows how to use mozilla (and thus firefox) plugin system.
firefox itself is not used, only available plugins.
If you didn't use firefox, then you probably wouldn't have the plugins
installed in the first place and then LO would not be able to handle the
object and only display a placeholder.

Christian Lohmaier-3 wrote
> > google says it is "PDF-XChange Viewer". You can try to move the plugin
> > away from Firefox' plugin folder, so that LO won't load it/try the
> > same with the adobe reader plugin for example.
>
> I don't use Adobe Reader. I tested temporarily removing the plugin. LO
> still
> crashes.

I'm not sure whether that actually was enough. I don't know whether LO/the
plugin system searches for multiple paths. Can you double-check with the
debugger that it doesn't load the plugin? And of course the trace of a
crash without LO loading plugins also would be very helpful for the report.

ciao
Christian