[Libreoffice-qa] Use of abbreviations in this ML (was: LO 4.2.0.2 opens OLH in browser instead of its own OLH)

Pedro pedlino at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 03:50:23 PST 2014

Good morning Thomas, all

Thomas Hackert wrote
> "you guys"? It is used since so many years, that it should be some
> kind of "general knowledge" ... ;) For example, if you search for
>> StarOffice "OnLine Help"
> , you will see, that OOo/LO/AOO has inherited it from SO ... ;) AOO
> seems to have renamed it to "Application Help" though. Maybe we
> should follow their example to avoid further confusion ... ;)

Actually that is not quite so https://help.libreoffice.org/
"Thank you for using the LibreOffice application help. Press F1 whenever you
need help using the LibreOffice software, and you will be redirected to this
site. Alternatively, you can install an off-line version of the help in your
native language."

So LO is naming "application help" the Online help and Off-line help the
files that you install...
So when you mention OLH you are actually referring to the Off-line Help,
right?

If you search for Off Line Help you will see that it is the naming
convention for many (most?) other software companies (Autodesk, Adobe, etc)
Offline means you are not connected and therefore using the installed help.

Thomas Hackert wrote
> ? We (or better: I) are not "Microsoft". Why on earth do you want to
> follow M$ that closely, that we may run into trouble in the future?
> On the Germanophone discuss list, we are discussing the renaming of
> "Data Pilot" to "Pivot Table" at the moment. As M$ has registered
> "Pivot Table"

I am not following MS in particular. I believe that it is a standard. Online
means connected, Offline means disconnected.

I was also surprised when LO changed from Data Pilot to Pivot Table
(although I understand that using the words people are used to makes sense).
It just proves that the Patent laws are absurd. It makes sense to register
"Excel" as a brand but "Pivot Tables"???

Thomas Hackert wrote
> And a plea from my side: If you see some abbreviation here you do
> not know now, would you be so kind to either ask here or – better –
> do a quick search in the web, please (something like "LibreOffice
> $abbreviation")?

I tried that. I couldn't find OLH. I will ask first next time ;)

Cheers,
Pedro