[Libreoffice-qa] bibisect: how to update after tarball download

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Wed Jul 23 04:18:50 PDT 2014

On 23/07/14 12:25, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded bibisect-43all.tar.xz and unpacked it. Now, the wiki page
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Bibisect (and common sense)
> suggest that I should be able to "git pull" to get new builds, but the
> wiki page does not list any git:// (or ssh:// or whatever) URLs I
> could use to fetch/pull from. Only tarball download.

AFAIK the only bibisect repo that you can pull from is vmiklos'
https://bitbucket.org/vmiklos/lo-daily

the other ones tend to get updated on an irregular schedule, and you can
only use zsync on them (at least the jlallement one) which doesn't work
well in practice to reduce the size...

> Also, the xz compression takes ~rather long to uncompress (the unpack
> is clearly CPU-bound in the xz decompression process) and wins only
> 0.016% (a bit less than 2MiB) over the uncompressed tar. I'd suggest
> it is not worth the compression (or use a much faster algorithm than
> xz)...

thanks for providing some data to prove that given how well git repack
works the extra compression is pointless.