[Libreoffice-qa] How to install the -bdg packages from a manual installation?

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 17 06:38:54 PDT 2014

Hi Valerio, *,

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 2:13 PM, Valerio DeA <valeriodean at yahoo.it> wrote:
> Hi all,
> because I want the last LO release and my actual distro doesn't ship it yet
> (Fedora 20) then I installed the fresh version directly from the LO website.
> However in that way looks like I lost the -gdb packages, so my backtrace
> will be pretty useless, isn't it?

Well - the traces themselves are - but if you have a reproducible way
to crash it, then this is enough usually.

> Now the question is:
> how can I have all the needed packages to produce useful bug report using
> the manual installation from the LO website?

There are not debug packages for the builds provided by TDF. The
gdb/debug packages of your distro's version won't work with the builds
downloaded from www.libreoffice.org.

> In case the gdb packages are not included in the manual installation (in
> case, why they are not included?),

Size basically. And most users won't run it in a debugger to provide
stacktraces... (Most downloads are from windows, since linux users can
get LO from their repos anyway - for windows there's symbol server
that can be used to debug LO, but no such thing exists for the linux
builds)

> how can I compile it without compile all
> the office suite?

That's not possible. You can compile only the interesting module with
debug-information, but you still would need to compile all of
LibreOffice to run it.

> Oh, of course to jump from a stable release to unstable one (rawhide) just
> to have the last LO makes no sense to me. I don't want a potentially
> unstable system only to provide backtrace to LO.
>
> Any advice?

I'm not familiar with the package-db-site, but
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/libreoffice lists 4.2.2 as
"stable" for F20 - with one update pending to be approved to get to
stable.
At least that is my reading of it. - so you should have the latest
released version available from the repos.

There was a time where 4.2.3 RC1 was offered on the download-page by
accident without having it explicitly selected - so if you have 4.2.3
installed, that is actually an RC, not a final version.

ciao
Christian