[Libreoffice-qa] Question of the use of 'Fresh' rather than 'Beta' and support for XP

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at collabora.com
Mon May 5 03:37:57 PDT 2014

Hi Jay,

On Mon, 2014-05-05 at 14:13 +0400, Jay Philips wrote:
> I was curious why the word "Fresh" is used rather than the more widely
> used word "Beta" for the latest development release branch.

	I think you're confused by the naming. Currently we have these
releases:

	4.3 (master) - Beta
	4.2 - Fresh
	4.1 - Stable

	As/when we release 4.3.0 those will rotate I imagine:

	master
	4.3 - Fresh
	4.2 - Stable

	etc. =) it's like climbing up a ladder I guess.

	All of this is essentially propagating some sort of pyramid scheme on
ourselves. The sad reality of life is that there is no substitute for
getting a few million people to test the code and file bugs. Despite our
significant investments in automated QA etc. we are still unaware of
lots of bugs until we release the latest 'Fresh' release - and then
(over some months) we make it more stable based on user feedback until
we tag that as 'Stable' and move on.

	Of course - this situation is helped by people (such as yourself) doing
more testing on 4.3 / master - something we like to encourage.

> With the recent talk about 4.3 not working on windows XP

	It doesn't ? then we should fix that - it's a bug. There are currently
no plans to drop Windows XP support that I'm aware of. As you say it is
an important platform.

	ATB,

		Michael.

--