[Libreoffice-qa] Question of the use of 'Fresh' rather than 'Beta' and support for XP

Jay Philips philipz85 at hotmail.com
Mon May 5 08:24:07 PDT 2014

Hello,

On 05/05/2014 05:36 PM, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 04:59:37PM +0400, Jay Philips wrote:
>> Yes initially i was confused as i was used to seeing chrome's
>> labelling there releases as development, beta and stable.I think it
>> would be great if the website would provide better explanation on
>> the download pages of what each of the versions was for so that
>> users would understand what they were downloading.
> http://blogs.computerworlduk.com/simon-says/2014/03/libreoffice-gets-fresh-and-stable/index.htm?utm_content=buffer5d3d0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
>
> explains it nicely as does our wiki (even since before we labeled the stuff
> "fresh" and "stable". Putting it on the webpage is not a good idea, as most
> users just want their download without too much hassle. Those interested in the
> nitty gritty will find it.

One sentence stating that this version is for "early adopters and
technology enthusiasts" or something of that sort and a similar one on
the stable page just above the download link button wouldnt be that much
of a inconvenience on a download page.

>> Also think that the download page would be a great location to encourage
>> users to submit bugs.
> It already does. If you have concrete further suggestions, please take them to
> the website mailing list.

Please enlighten me as i couldnt find any mention of submitting bug
reports on the download page.

>> I believe that if we wish to encourage users to submit bugs to LibO,
>> then we need to have bug reporting more visible in the UI, like a
>> bug icon in the app toolbar similar to the help icon, maybe a crash
>> report dialog that appears after LibO crashes (like KDE), maybe a
>> bug report button next to 'Help' and 'Extensions' in the main UI,
>> and possibly an initial bug report request visible to users when
>> they first run LibO.
> So, for one the main barrier to bug reporting is not a missing toolbar button
> etc.(although we already even have "report a problem" in the menu) but the
> hassles of needing a bugzilla account setup. Migrating to our own bugzilla will
> hopefully allow us simplifications there. If you are interested to help out
> there, Robinson will certainly be happy to get you started.

I had seen 'send feedback' in the help menu but never 'report a
problem', but how visible is an entry in the help menu, when you dont
even have to go to the help menu to get help, as the help icon is in the
toolbar. It being in plain sight will only help more bugs to be field.
Yes i do agree having to signup for a buzilla account to submit a bug
report might stop some from submitting bugs, as many would like to
submit it anonymously and go on with their day and not have to worry
about follow ups. Look forward to the move to the LibO's own bugzilla
and hope it also has simple authentication for gmail, hotmail, facebook,
twitter, launchpad, etc.

> The other thing is that we are not so much lacking bug reports, but lacking
> GOOD bug reports that have complete triaging info, reproduction scenarios etc.
> o the last thing we want really is making it simpler for people to file bad or
> incomplete bug reports that cause us more work than they help us.

Yes more bug reports dont always been more good bug reports.

> If someone is not able to file a bug report proper, it is likely better to
> discuss the symptoms on ask.libreoffice.org, user mailing lists, IRC and social
> media and get help on how to file a good bug report. Again as for the bugzilla
> migration, you are invited to hang out on these channels and help getting users
> up to speed.
>
> Best,
>
> Bjoern

Regards,