[Libreoffice-qa] Bug Triage: What takes the most time? What slows you down?

Joel Madero jmadero.dev at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 07:18:03 PDT 2015

hmm - I'm not sure what the point of this discussion is as whatever the
problem is, it's not "fixable" per se.

On 07/02/2015 02:11 AM, Alex Thurgood wrote:
> Le 01/07/2015 15:28, Robinson Tryon a écrit :
>
> Hi Robinson,
>
>> Even if your nick is more active than IZBot in the #libreoffice-qa
>> channel, there are only so many bugs that you can triage in an hour.
>> I'm interested in hearing what takes the biggest chunk of your time
>> during bug triage, so we can see if we can simplify and/or reduce the
>> time/energy that we spend on each bug.
> Generally, poorly worded initial bug reports. I'm less inclined nowadays
> to try and second guess what the user has done (or not done), so tend to
> stick them straight to NEEDINFO with questions.
I agree with this 100%. My philosophy has always been "the user has some
responsibility to give us a good report" if they fail to do so, I'm not
going to waste more than 1 minute putting a comment and tossing it in
NEEDINFO.

I also rarely look for dupes and the like as this can be incredibly time
consuming - if I see a bug that I recognize I'll spend a few minutes,
else I just confirm and move on.

That being said, everyone has their own style and talking about it isn't
going to make it faster. The reality is that we just need to keep
increasing our numbers and stop worrying if there is a small spike in
unconfirmed bugs. We've got it under control (the days where we're at
1700 are gone). Sure we see small spikes occasionally but no reason to
philosophize over why...there's a simple explanation, there are
100,000,000 users approximately and less than 100 active triagers so, at
a 1,000,000:1 ratio, we're going to see spikes occasionally.

Best,
Joel