[Libreoffice-qa] Bug Triage: What takes the most time? What slows you down?

Terrence Enger tenger at iseries-guru.com
Thu Jul 23 19:05:30 PDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-07-01 at 09:28 -0400, Robinson Tryon wrote:
> I'm interested in hearing what takes the biggest chunk of your time
> during bug triage, so we can see if we can simplify and/or reduce the
> time/energy that we spend on each bug.

A good chunk of the time--and a disproportionately large part of the
frustration--is checking for potential duplicates.  The hard part, of
course, is imagining the words that an existing report might use to
describe the problem.  An implausibly short list from a bz query or a
tremendously long one are both useless.

If bibisecting shows that a bug is fairly new, a limitation by bug
creation date can usefully restrict the number of potential duplicates
returned.

Still, finding duplicates is the part of the process about which I
feel least competent.

(Needless to say, I am writing this weeks later because I am searching
for a potential duplicate.)

Terry.