[Libreoffice-qa] Try not to reopen bugs when anything more than a trivial amount of time has passed

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue Mar 24 11:33:03 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 01:29:21PM -0400, Robinson Tryon wrote:
> It sounds like the ideal situation would be for a bug to be in some
> kind of 'fluid' state for some time after it's ostensibly fixed
> (say, a month)

That workflow already exists in bugzilla, however it is not how we are using
it:

- developer fixes issue, says "its fixed in build xyz" -> RESOLVED/FIXED
- "QA" (or for us: anyone else but the commiter of the fix, first of all the
  reporter) checks that build and either sets it to VERIFIED/FIXED or REOPENED
- Once the product is released to the public with the fix the bug goes from
  VERIFIED to CLOSED

With that workflow a sensible approach would be that a bug can never be REOPENED
once it was VERIFIED. However, I dont think we want to manually "VERIFIED" for
all bugs(*). One could have a bot setting bugs from RESOLVED to VERIFIED
though, if there is not objection ("verified by silent approval"). While this
could help making clear that reporters are expected to verify fixes in a timely
manner, it would create quite a lot of extra noise on the tracker ...

Best,

Bjoern

(*) maybe, just maybe for regressions.