[Libreoffice-qa] LibreOffice releases (was: Reminder: QA Meeting on Wednesday)

Pedro pedlino at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 09:10:58 PST 2015

Hi Bjoern

Bjoern Michaelsen wrote
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 03:40:37AM -0700, Pedro wrote:
>> A sugestion: maybe have a branch dedicated to bug fixes every other year?
>> Example: let's say 5.1 is dedicated to fixes. Then a slight change of
>> schedule would postpone 5.2.0 to some months later so that most devs
>> would
>> concentrate on 5.1 (of course new features would still be added to Master
>> in
>> this period) instead of being split by two concurrent branches...
>
> We have a "branch dedicated to bug fixes" twice a year. They are called
> "release
> branches" and live for about a year each. More details at:

Maybe my suggestion wasn't clear. I know about the "twice a year" release
branches. My suggestion was exactly to delay the second release of the year
so that developers could have more time to dedicate to a single branch (of
course they could always submit new features to the Master branch)

Looking at this chart
<http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n4167378/LO_release_life_cycle.png>

you will notice that there are very few times when developers are working on
a single branch. In fact most of the times they are working on 3 branches
simultaneously and therefore the constant "rush before release" that Sophie
mentions.

My suggestion was (as an example) to branch 5.2 later in the year (e.g. in
late October) so that there is 3-4 months to dedicate to 5.1 and therefore
have time to reduce the backlog of confirmed bugs (and even for QA people to
bisect some bugs without having to worry about testing a new branch).

My other suggestion was for TDF to organize a Bug Squashing Session during
this period.

Therefore this does not change the Timed release logic, it just spaces it a
bit to allow time for bug fixing...

Best regards,
Pedro