[Libreoffice-qa] Reminder: QA Meeting on Wednesday

Joel Madero jmadero.dev at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 17:31:21 PST 2015

Hi There,

On 11/25/2015 02:04 PM, m.a.riosv wrote:
> BTW would be nice listen from the candidates their opinion about concrete
> matters like this one.

I would be surprised if there was any deviation for any of the
candidates - we've discussed this at length on the Board. Hell I just
brought it up today (saying it came up again in QA) and well, there was
unanimous consensus and hopefully one of the developers will write a
nice blog post about this issue to put it to rest once and for all.
Telling others what to do is not how we work. We have a strong culture
of "the doers decide" and the "doers" stick with what they "do" - thus
again, I really do think there is a solution here.

If QA members just bisected each regression (fully bisect) and
prioritized correctly I *honestly* believe that the regression count
would fall. I don't understand why this point is being ignored as it's
literally *completely* in our control.

Anywho, I like the spirited conversation I just don't see any actionable
item. I suggested that Pedro go track down developers to agree with him
but he quickly dismissed that (because he couldn't convince me?) and
asked Robinson or someone else to do the work of bringing up to the ESC.
The ESC has also talked about this at length and rejected it (on several
occasions). I've spoken with many of the developers who join the ESC and
all of them reject this concept of QA dictating what they do, or that
there should be any quasi-dictating by having "fix builds" or the like.
But again, it's not outside of any of your powers to broach the subject
yourselves on the dev list and pitch *concrete actionable ideas*.

At the same time, I highly encourage thinking about compromise positions
- which I think I have actually given a good compromise. If we can go to
the ESC and say "look our QA team is frantically doing *comprehensive
triaging* and bisecting each and every regression, can you take over
now? That seems like a more positive way to move things forward.

Best,
Joel