[Libreoffice-qa] writing unit test for calc functions

Pedro pedlino at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 15:05:20 UTC 2016

Hi Markus

Personally I'm very interested in using Calc as a replacement for Excel. The
spreadsheets I work with commonly have more than 65k lines so using the old
Excel 2003 (included in my work desktop) is useless but Calc is still not
stable/efficient enough.

One of the main problems with Excel and Calc is compatibility. ODS is out of
question (because MS manages to ruin all ODS files) and XLSX has lots of
issues in round-trip work (particularly in Pivot Tables)

Regarding your CSV only approach, Calc does have the option to Save formulae
instead of values (and curiously opening these files in Excel 2010 works!)
but there are probably limitations (I just found out that array formulas are
not interpreted correctly on both programs)

Since it is not in Microsoft's interest to be 100% compatible with ODS, I
think that your spreadsheet approach should include both ODS and XLSX.

So, if manual testing your files leads to greater compatibility you can
count me in.

Regards,
Pedro