[Libreoffice-qa] writing unit test for calc functions

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 16 18:27:45 UTC 2016

Hey Pedro,

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 5:05 PM, Pedro <pedlino at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Markus
>
> Personally I'm very interested in using Calc as a replacement for Excel.
> The
> spreadsheets I work with commonly have more than 65k lines so using the old
> Excel 2003 (included in my work desktop) is useless but Calc is still not
> stable/efficient enough.
>
> One of the main problems with Excel and Calc is compatibility. ODS is out
> of
> question (because MS manages to ruin all ODS files) and XLSX has lots of
> issues in round-trip work (particularly in Pivot Tables)

This whole stuff here is purely about the formula compiler and formula
interpreter. For other features exist other types of tests, filters-test,
export-test, ...

> Regarding your CSV only approach, Calc does have the option to Save
> formulae
> instead of values (and curiously opening these files in Excel 2010 works!)
> but there are probably limitations (I just found out that array formulas
> are
> not interpreted correctly on both programs)

The CSV approach is already implemented and is what we are currently using.
It is basically just a comparison of the formula results with a csv file.
So the question right now is if the csv part should be replaced by a pure
spreadsheet error checking. The CSV approach always required a developer as
there are many special cases that can not completely be handled without
running the test.

> Since it is not in Microsoft's interest to be 100% compatible with ODS, I
> think that your spreadsheet approach should include both ODS and XLSX.

These tests are for the formula compiler and formula interpreter.
Everything that can be evaluated can be expressed in an ODF file (maybe not
visible to the user).

> So, if manual testing your files leads to greater compatibility you can
> count me in.

The idea is to generate test files that can be used for manual testing but
more importantly can also be used in the automated testing. Currently all
our formula compiler and formula interpreter tests can only be used in the
automated testing. One advantage of the new approach would be that it makes
it easier for non-developers to write such test documents and make
therefore sure that all functions are properly tested.