[Libreoffice-qa] [QA] Need someone having Excel

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Fri Jan 15 03:31:13 PST 2016

Hi,

On Thursday, 2016-01-07 13:20:25 -0700, GĂ©rard Fargeot wrote:

> The reporter first, yhen Joel close yhe bug report.
> I'm not sure this is a good idea. The screenshot provided by Miroslav show
> that Excel handles functions in the same way whether the argument either
> text or number.
> =COUNTIF(range;1)
> =COUNTIF(range;"1")
> =COUNTIF(range;"=1")
> provides the same result in Excel with range having text data while Calc
> count only numerical values for the 1st one.
>
> This apply to COUNTIF(S) and SUMIF(S).
>
> What is the opinion of dev's about this (Eike or another)? Should we comply
> to Excel in this case or not ?

My take on that is that COUNTIF(range;1) queries a numeric value.
But if Excel does it different and therefor users expect the same
behavior we probably have to change it for interoperability.

  Eike

GPG key "ID" 0x65632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A
Better use 64-bit 0x6A6CD5B765632D3A here is why: https://evil32.com/
Care about Free Software, support the FSFE https://fsfe.org/support/?erack