[Libreoffice-qa] [QA] Need someone having Excel

m.a.riosv miguelangelrv at libreoffice.org
Fri Jan 15 11:25:19 PST 2016

Hi,

El 15/01/16 a las 12:31, Eike Rathke escribió:
> Hi,
>
> On Thursday, 2016-01-07 13:20:25 -0700, Gérard Fargeot wrote:
> My take on that is that COUNTIF(range;1) queries a numeric value.
> But if Excel does it different and therefor users expect the same
> behavior we probably have to change it for interoperability.
>
>   Eike

Some thoughts:

1) How to avoid break for people having a number as text in a cell, to have
the value without being taken into account in formulas/functions.

1) It makes more complicated to have a criteria for countif only numbers, if
there are a mix of numbers and numbers as text.

2) To have a consistent interpretation,  I think it implies change the
evaluation of text as numbers, from only direct references to consider every
reference in array ranges as a direct reference.

3) What to do with functions like SUM(), evaluate always, when introduced as
array, never.

I think it is a deep change on the restricted behavior, that merits a deep
and reposed discussion.

In ODF 1.2,
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-part2.html#__RefHeading__1017988_715980110,
"
6.3.5Conversion to Number

If the expected type is Number, then if value is of type:

    ●Number, return it.

    ●Logical, return 0 if FALSE, 1 if TRUE.

    ●Text: The specific conversion is implementation-defined; an evaluator
may return 0, an Error value, or the results of its attempt to convert the
Text value to a Number (and fall back to 0 or Error if it fails to do so).
Evaluators may apply VALUE() or some other function to do this conversion,
should they choose to do so. Conversion depends on the actual locale the
application runs in, especially if group or decimal separators are involved.
"

Should be numbers what are numbers for VALUE()?, so we can test/know when
the conversion will be done. Should it be in any kind of reference or range
reference?

NumberAsTextInFormulas.ods
<http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n4171893/NumberAsTextInFormulas.ods>