[Libreoffice-qa] More information in About dialog

Pedro pedlino at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 15:22:23 UTC 2016

Rene Engelhard wrote
>>      Assuming that the logic that Stuart mentioned for LibreOffice under
>>      Windows
>>      also applies to Linux (it should) then since your LibreOffice
>> reports
>>      "Version: 5.1.1.2" it is the 32bit (x86) version (otherwise it would
>> say
>>      "Version: 5.1.1.2 (x64)")
>
> It doesn't. Necer saw (x64) there. Probably because a) 64 bit is common
> in Linux now whereas it's not in Windows b) most users of Windows don't
> even know what they run....

It couldn't be simple and consistent, could it?

Regarding your points a) the majority of new machines since Windows 7 do
have an x64 OS and b) true (in fact it would be fantastic if people didn't
even had to know there is an OS, like in many other devices)

I just tested on a Ubuntu 14.04 x64 machine and doing a "file soffice.bin"
(located in /usr/lib/libreoffice/program) does report it is 64bit
I can confirm that LibreOffice 5.1.1.2 (from the ppa) does not mention x64
in the About dialog box.

Sorry for assuming there was some logic :)

Regards,
Pedro