[Libreoffice-qa] Producing QA master crash report builds

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 13 19:21:41 UTC 2016

Hey,

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Xisco Fauli <xiscofauli at libreoffice.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (adding Markus Mothrhard as CC)
>
> El 13/09/16 a les 04:04, Jay Philips ha escrit:
>
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> Hope LibOCon was enjoyable.
>>
>> So if i remember correctly, only release builds have the crash reporter
>> built in,
>>
> @Markus: Can you confirm?

Yes. Only TDF Windows and Linux release builds have enabled crash reporter.
You can enable it in other builds as well but it will be useless unless you
also upload the build symbols.

> but it would be useful to have crash reporting during the
>> development of the master, so i'd like to suggest that master crash
>> report builds be created atleast once a month so QA can bang against it,
>> especially those who use it on a regular basis outside of QA, so we are
>> less reliant on users to bang against it with real releases.
>>

> I would propose to enable it for alpha and beta versions in case it's not
> enable right now, but personally I wouldn't do it in master for 2 reasons:
> 1. master is mainly tested by QA people so we can report the crashes
> directly in bugzilla providing more information like regression, bibisect,
> etc...
> 2. I'm not sure the server would be able to handle all requests coming
> from master too.

It is enabled for alpha and beta builds. There are plans from my side to
enable it for at least one tinderbox build at some point however that needs
more work from me. The following problem currently block this:

* a way to automatically delete symbols after some time - we don't want to
keep the symbols for daily builds too long, each symbol set is around 700MB
* a way to identify builds with the git sha and not only with the version
number

The Server should be able to handle the additional load easily. The alpha
and beta build caused less than 50 crashes a day and we are now up to 1200
a day for the release builds. The theoretical max that we can process right
now is around 20k.

So for now it is mostly blocked by some missing work on the server side as
well as finding a solution to the additional disk space requirement. Feel
free to work on one or the other task and help make daily master builds
with crash reporting a reality.

Regards,
Markus