[Libreoffice-qa] QA Meeting Minutes (2017-04-25)

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at libreoffice.org
Thu Apr 27 16:02:09 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 05:13:43PM +0200, Xisco Fauli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > * QA telegram group  (x1sc0, 16:17:48)
> >   * buovjaga> yeah forums are better for asynch discussion  (x1sc0,
> >     16:23:03)
> >   * cloph is sceptical, doesn't think telegram would be
> >     newcomer-friendly (not as widespread like e.g. twitter/facebook),
> >     and also cannot see what kind of conversations it would be good for
> >     (cloph, 16:38:43)
> >   * LINK:
> >     https://m.signalvnoise.com/is-group-chat-making-you-sweat-744659addf7d
> >     (buovjaga, 16:41:56)
>
> Group created: https://t.me/LibreOffice_QA

I havent been in the call, but I have no right to object here. ;)

Allow me to add a very specific request on this though:

- please try to define really well and clean cut, what the best/prefered
  communication channel for a specific topic is
- please also define well an clean cut, which topic are tolerated on other
  channels and why

The thing to avoid is having a topic dicussed on multiple channels, which might
lead to different sub-groups of the community to reach different (and
conflicting) consensus on topics on different channels.

Prior examples of such borders are:
- RedMine vs. Bugzilla
  "everything about the product LibreOffice belongs on bugzilla, no exceptions"
- AskBot vs. Bugzilla
  Inexperienced users might start on AskBot to triage their issue (which might
  a support question, not a bug), but once a bug is well-triaged it must move
  to bugzilla.
- #libreoffice-dev vs. user support on IRC
  see /topic: "This is the LibreOffice DEVELOPER channel. For user questions &
  problems without code go to #libreoffice ..."

Once you have a clean cut definition on what can be discussed on telegram (and
when the discussion should be moved to bugzilla or whereever ...), it should be
noted in the channel description (and probably also on the TDF wiki listing all
comms and the mapping of topics).

E.g. the "single source of Truth" on LibreOffice bugs is always Bugzilla. You can
chat about bugs elsewhere, but as long as its not reflected on Bugzilla, others
in the community are not required to know about it and in case of doubt, its
your duty to copy relevant info over to Bugzilla[1]. (This is nothing new either,
e.g. it happens that devs copy over IRC conversations over to Bugzilla.)

And with that Im finished proselytizing. ;)

Best,

Bjoern

[1] And corollary: "But we had a different conclusion about that bug on
    telegram." by default is void against whatever is in Bugzilla, if the two
    are conflicting.