[Libreoffice-qa] The future of Bugzilla and getting there faster

Ilmari Lauhakangas ilmari.lauhakangas at libreoffice.org
Sun Jan 7 10:15:51 UTC 2018

Many of you might be wondering what the heck is up with Bugzilla. The
last major release was 5.0 in 2015 Jul 07. Long story short, they got
carried away with doing custom stuff for Mozilla's BZ instance and their
release process got jammed. Fortunately, they are finally crawling out
of the hole they fell into.

By reading the following you will discover where BZ is now and where it
is headed:
https://dylanwh.tumblr.com/post/169334782317/looking-back-at-bugzilla-and-bmo-in-2017
https://gist.github.com/dylanwh/dc345ac5dcbd71b8109fe6cbc203ad89
https://github.com/kyoshino/bugzilla-ux/wiki/Bugzilla-6-Roadmap
https://github.com/kyoshino/bugzilla-ux/wiki/Bugzilla-7-Roadmap

Last year raal and me discussed creating tutorial videos about bug
triage. If we created them now, they would obviously have to be redone
after BZ 6 is out because of all the UI changes. It would be great to
get to BZ 6 as soon as possible. For the backend side, it means we need
Perl hackers. For the frontend, we need people skilled in CSS and JS.

As the plan forward is clear now, it is much easier to bring new
contributors into the project, so please try to recruit them!

Setting up a development is easy with Vagrant:
https://github.com/bugzilla/harmony/blob/master/README.rst#using-vagrant-for-development
Notice the fork used is "harmony".

You can spy on the user experience progress here:
https://twitter.com/BugzillaUX

New contributors can reach the BZ folks on #bugzilla at Mozilla's IRC
network https://kiwiirc.com/nextclient/#irc://irc.mozilla.org/bugzilla

Regards,
Ilmari