[Libreoffice-qa] Next level of QA and how to get there

Alex Kempshall alexkempshall at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 25 07:13:28 UTC 2018

Hi Xisco

I would have liked to have listened in on tomorrows meeting,
unfortunately I have to be elsewhere.

Back in 2016 Buovjaga wrote this to me

> mailmerge testing is very valuable as it is a complex feature and typically not
> many QA members like to tackle it.
>
> On IRC, there are usually people active during European waking hours. Jan-Marek
> Glogowski is a developer doing a lot for mailmerge (working for City of Munich).
> He also hangs out at the QA IRC channel, using the nickname jmux. He is
> currently on vacation (a week still), but still seems to be joining IRC now and
> then.
>
> I have triaged a lot of mailmerge issues myself, even though I don't use the
> feature.
>
> On IRC you could get guidance on how to bisect the regressions you find.
> Bisecting is very helpful as it pinpoints the offending commit.
> Here is our info page on (bi)bisecting aka binary bisecting:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Bibisect

Would like to help where I can, but my time is limited.

I am keeping an eye on MailMerge and database activity, mainly because
I'm an active user of such things. Have in the past found problems in
Stable that have take time to sort out. Never quite managed to do much
testing in Alphas or Betas.

I've just got a successful compile of LO with --enable-kde5 and
--enable-qt5. It looks quite a mess - is this expected? If not I will
raise a bug report. I knew that Jan-Marek was taking an active interest
in kde5 integration, but he is not active at the moment. Who's looking
after kde integration at the moment. Had this message, a few days ago,
from Katarina Behrens

> I'm looking into KDE5 implementation every day :D
> KDE5 filepicker just landed in master earlier this week. Sadly I don't have
> any screenshots at hand but Haiku developers do [1]
>
> [1]https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/waddlesplash/
> 2018-06-06_haiku_monthly_activity_report_-_052018/

I suppose what I'm saying is that when looking in from the outside it's
very difficult to understand what's going on and where we are with
LibreOffice

Alex