[Libreoffice-qa] Confusion about most recent builds

Ilmari Lauhakangas ilmari.lauhakangas at libreoffice.org
Wed Mar 21 08:54:58 UTC 2018

On 20.03.2018 23:53, Ted Lee wrote:
> On 3/19/18 9:22 PM, V Stuart Foote wrote:
>> Yes that is correct, in the timed-based release development of
>> LibreOffice
>> there are always two "release" branches in active
>> developement/support, with
>> a third master branch in active development.
>>
>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan
>
> Thanks, that clarifies quite a bit, but I still don't understand the
> difference between dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/master/ and
> dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/libreoffice-6-0/, both of which call
> themselves "daily."
>
> In either case, it is, to me, a bit concerning that there have been 6-8
> builds of the Linux version, depending on which one you look at, but
> only 1 or 2 of the Mac version (those being a week ago now.)  In that
> same time frame there have also been 3-4 (in the /daily/LibreOffice 6.0
> tree) and 8 (in the /daily/master tree) of Win86 versions.

They are daily builds from different branches. 6-0 is showing the
current state of whatever the next 6.0.x version will be. Master is
showing the next major version, 6.1 in this case. They are called
"daily", because the building is supposed to be automated.

The builds can be interrupted for various reasons, including physical
damage, like a failed CPU fan or some other component. Then there is the
constant maintenance of the build environment. Sometimes tests only
break on a certain platform. Anything can, and will, go wrong without
warning.

So keeping those boxes running requires a certain amount of time
investment, which is sometimes not immediately possible. We have not had
a Windows debug build in 5 months (this is a volunteer-run box).

Ilmari