[Libreoffice-qa] ESC meeting agenda - Adding topic: Broken release process when fresh become still and when still become EOL'ed

Florian Effenberger floeff at documentfoundation.org
Thu Jan 28 10:27:49 UTC 2021

Hi William,

Cloph and Xisco can give more technical details, so just some quick
thoughts from my side before the ESC call:

William Gathoye (LibreOffice) wrote on 27.01.21 at 18:22:

> Right now: 6.4 is EOL'ed[4] but it is still advertised on the website
> while the update service is redirecting users of 6.4 to the 7.0 version.

I think it is intentional that we always do have two parallel versions
available for download, but it's something that might change as we are
looking into the rolling release system, which makes this
differentiation obsolete.

> 2. Write and ensure a check list for the release process is **enforced**
> to ensure these use case are properly handled and the TDF update service
> is advertising the right version with 2 days max delay.

The goal is to have the update trigger live within one week. Two days
sounds rather short - having some days gives us the option to see if
there are any major problems, and is e.g. also what many Android vendors
do with their staggered rollout.

What's the rationale for two days, why that urgency? Also, thinking of
the release days on Wednesdays or Thursdays, it might be smart to not
put forward such updates during the weekends, when reaction times in
case of issues are slower than during the week.

Unless we e.g. have a very severe security issue, a week sounds just
fine to me. Ultimately, this is something Cloph and Xisco should decide
together with the ESC.

Florian

Tel: +49 30 5557992-50 | Mail: floeff at documentfoundation.org