[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Tooltips options removal, was: Automatically select an option page if a user clicks on a category

Stefan Knorr (Astron) heinzlesspam at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 22 08:58:08 PST 2011

Hi Cor,

> I recognise the problems listed there and the (snipped) actions for
> improvement.

Just to make sure, does that mean you agree with them?

> But I do not understand how that relates to removing the choice between
> short and extended tooltips..

Ah, okay. First, I kind of believe in doing things right the first
time, instead of implementing half of the solution and then letting
things slip – incidentally, I guess, I am guilty of all of these
things.
Let me untangle the reasoning:
* the removal of the option Extended Tips is associated with the reasoning
** on their own, these tooltips are almost useless (they explain the
functionality but don't mention its name/keyboard shortcut)
** used together with the normal tooltips, they can greatly extend the
normal tooltips's usefulness for (almost) everyone
** move these texts from the help files into the programme, so
everyone has access to them

* the removal of the option Tips is associated with the reasoning:
** current tooltips don't behave well, therefore, some people might
currently rather deactivate them altogether → tooltips need to behave
better

Is that an answer to your question?

Regards,
Astron.