[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Header and Footers separators design

Christoph Noack christoph at dogmatux.com
Wed Jul 6 14:10:52 PDT 2011

Hi Cor, hi Cedric,

since I currently consume much of the discussion in (sometimes thin)
"slices", I'd like to ask some questions ... I'm currently a bit unsure
about what kind of feature we really talk.

At the beginning, I thought we talk about an optional visualization for
the headers ... but it seems we discuss a completely different behavior
for editing / accessing features.

So, do we talk about:
      * when editing headers/footers, then a new visualization shows
        what's getting edited:
              * new line and "Header: $PAGE_STYLE" are shown
              * the remaining document parts are grayed out (a bit)
      * editing headers/footers starts via "double click" on the desired
        area
      * during "normal" document editing, access to the headers/footers
        is not possible

If this is correct, then a "-1" from my side to the whole package. I'd
like to understand more about the issues we currently run into (e.g.
whether the preconditions - partly very different from MSO interaction
design - support/enable such a change). One tiny example are the current
gray separator lines - being shown all the time, although the content
itself is only editable via a (hidden) double-click. Furthermore, do we
run into accessibility problems? ...

@ Cor: I still don't understand that well how to access such features
apart from the available daily builds. Can you please provide a hint how
to test it (since I use VMs, any kind of Linux is okay).

Sorry for lacking proper understanding at the moment ... and maybe
delaying things. But I did not get the idea of the change in the mail
yesterday. But, I'll promise to help to make this a cool feature :-)

Cheers,
Christoph