[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Header and Footers separators design

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Wed Jul 6 15:15:31 PDT 2011

Hi Christoph,

Christoph Noack wrote (06-07-11 23:10)
> Hi Cor, hi Cedric,
>
> since I currently consume much of the discussion in (sometimes thin)
> "slices", I'd like to ask some questions ... I'm currently a bit unsure
> about what kind of feature we really talk.
>
> At the beginning, I thought we talk about an optional visualization for
> the headers ... but it seems we discuss a completely different behavior
> for editing / accessing features.
>
> So, do we talk about:
>        * when editing headers/footers, then a new visualization shows

Yes

>          what's getting edited:
>                * new line and "Header: $PAGE_STYLE" are shown

Yes

>                * the remaining document parts are grayed out (a bit)

Yes

>        * editing headers/footers starts via "double click" on the desired
>          area

Yes

>        * during "normal" document editing, access to the headers/footers
>          is not possible

Yes - and those are a bit grey too

> If this is correct, then a "-1" from my side to the whole package. I'd
> like to understand more about the issues we currently run into (e.g.

Issues we run into with the changes or with the current behaviour?
a.  with the current behaviour.
Not so many. Only since headers/footers are easily accessible, there is
some change that they get changed by accident.
And the difference between main text and headers/footers is not that
big. Especially when people turn of text borders (menu View), cause they
do not know those from Word (where they are turned of by default).

b. with the changes: see the other mail. No real that I have found so far.

> whether the preconditions - partly very different from MSO interaction
> design - support/enable such a change). One tiny example are the current
> gray separator lines - being shown all the time,

As written, that depends.

> although the content
> itself is only editable via a (hidden) double-click. Furthermore, do we
> run into accessibility problems? ...

Ctrl-PgUp/PgDwn still work.

> @ Cor: I still don't understand that well how to access such features
> apart from the available daily builds. Can you please provide a hint how
> to test it (since I use VMs, any kind of Linux is okay).

Well,  in this case just download the code and build it :-)
Or wait for the daily build to be back again (should not take long,
Friedrich was tinkering a bit with the servers, links for the new
branches, IIAC)
But in general: there is no general rule ;-) Depends on the feature, and
how much is pushed to the master already.

> Sorry for lacking proper understanding at the moment ... and maybe
> delaying things. But I did not get the idea of the change in the mail
> yesterday. But, I'll promise to help to make this a cool feature :-)

Did my questions/remarks/pictures for Cédric help to better understand?
Regards,
Cor
--
  - Cor