[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Libreoffice] "Style And Formatting" window

Christoph Noack christoph at dogmatux.com
Wed Jul 6 14:45:15 PDT 2011

Hi Caolán!

Am Mittwoch, den 06.07.2011, 15:55 +0100 schrieb Caolán McNamara:
> On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 00:26 +0200, Christoph Noack wrote:
> > Well, this question may open a can of worms, so to say. Omitting all the
> > explanation it finally leads to (from the user's point-of-view): "Is
> > LibreOffice an office suite that behave consistently and works with
> > different file types?", or "Does LibreOffice bundle several rather
> > separate modules?". Both approaches do have pros/cons - but it should be
> > clear, because it would solve lots of other questions.
>
> IMO we should be consistent, but not to the degree that it gets in the
> way, 'A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds' :-)

Sure, and this is the magic ... the decision on what should be
consistent (for ease of learning / switching between the modules) and
what may be adapted for special use cases (making things more
efficient).

However, what I also had in mind was how LibreOffice is presented to the
user. Some years ago, we talked about StarOffice being able to handle
different document types. Then, the single modules got emphasized to
compete with Microsoft Office which was marketed in a different way.
Since then, we really suffer from this unfinished transition ... so
whatever we do, I'd like to decide in the near future what our aim is
for LibreOffice. Mmh, but this might rather be something for the
marketing list ...

Cheers,
Christoph