[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Option for gridline display in Calc (fdo#30800)

André Schnabel andre.schnabel at gmx.net
Thu Jul 7 23:01:13 PDT 2011

Hi Kohei,

Am 08.07.2011 00:41, schrieb Kohei Yoshida:
>> But during discussion of the "on colored cell" option I found, that not
>> that many users are aware of the per-shet option .. but no one was
>> surprised to have this application wide.
> Well, "not that many users" is not a qualifying statement since its
> meaning is not quantified.  Just to counter this, I have been asked
> about this same exact thing i.e. the confusion of this global option vs
> per-sheet grid option from someone who provides support to end users.

Well, maybe this is not the best approach to discuss things. I also had
people who provide support and training to end users. We could continue
this for a very long time.

> So, apparently there are users who are confused about this.

I agree. But I don't think, it is a good solution to just remove an
option because "some users" are confused and some other users did never
complain about it . But among those who did never complain are users who
use the option you want to remove. The simple outcome would be, that
then you have confused users who request the old option back etc.

So - in case you remove the per-application option, how would you
migrate old settings? Just drop them? Migrate them to per-sheet options?
I'd somehow prefere a larger rework of the grid options so that users
are *aware* that something changed and can deal with it.

regards,

André