[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Option for gridline display in Calc (fdo#30800)

André Schnabel andre.schnabel at gmx.net
Sun Jul 10 23:05:11 PDT 2011

Hi,

> Some questions:
>        * How does the new grid behavior relate to the print options? Do
>          printed grid and viewable grid behave the same (with regard to
>          cell background colors)?

 From what I see - not at all. It's currently only for on-screen
visualization. (What is btw. the same for the grid line color. You can
define the view-color per spreadsheet, but printout is always black.)
> Looking at the number of issues (which is enormous given the size of the
> "feature"), I agree with André. We should decide what we want to have
> (generally), rework it, do some more QA here, and enable the
> documentation team to create some consistent help.
>
> Addressing single issues doesn't help here that much ... otherwise we
> would (e.g.) start to document sub-optimal behavior.

That's my gut-feeling too. And we will not only "document" this - once
we start removing options we might need to migrate them to some other
settings. I don't like the idea of migrating settings back and forth
just because we removed something that is usefull
for our users.

> So, Kohei, André, how to continue?

Hmm .. although the topic at hand seems to be tiny, we already have
quite a mess in LibO with this. (It's not much better in OOo btw., many
of us just never noticed it or got used to it.) I surely have some time
to work on this during the next months (so target would be 3.5). I need
to do things step-by-step (as I'm still learning), but would not like to
start before we know what the steps should be.

The complicated thing here to me seems to find a good and consistent
solution for end users first.

regards,

André