[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Option for gridline display in Calc (fdo#30800)

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at novell.com
Mon Jul 11 05:27:27 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 08:05 +0200, André Schnabel wrote:
> Hi,
>

> > Some questions:
> >        * How does the new grid behavior relate to the print options? Do
> >          printed grid and viewable grid behave the same (with regard to
> >          cell background colors)?
>
>  From what I see - not at all. It's currently only for on-screen
> visualization. (What is btw. the same for the grid line color. You can
> define the view-color per spreadsheet, but printout is always black.)
> > Looking at the number of issues (which is enormous given the size of the
> > "feature"), I agree with André. We should decide what we want to have
> > (generally), rework it, do some more QA here, and enable the
> > documentation team to create some consistent help.
> >
> > Addressing single issues doesn't help here that much ... otherwise we
> > would (e.g.) start to document sub-optimal behavior.
>
> That's my gut-feeling too. And we will not only "document" this - once
> we start removing options we might need to migrate them to some other
> settings. I don't like the idea of migrating settings back and forth
> just because we removed something that is usefull
> for our users.

Ok.  You are slightly mis-understanding my suggestion here.  I'm not
proposing to remove any feature.  It's still possible to keep the
"toggle grid in all sheets" functionality without having the global
configuration setting which is purely an internal state of the user
configuration tree, not visible to the UI.  I'm only talking about the
implementation detail of what values get stored in the user
configuration.

A good analogy is the zooming per sheet option which Sun implemented.
They made it per-sheet while keeping the global zooming still possible
even after the re-work.  I'm suggesting we do something similar here
(though I hope we can implement a bit better than the zooming re-work
they did...)

> > So, Kohei, André, how to continue?
>

> Hmm .. although the topic at hand seems to be tiny, we already have
> quite a mess in LibO with this. (It's not much better in OOo btw., many
> of us just never noticed it or got used to it.)

Yup.  From my point of view, this one is not all that bad. ;-)  We
surely have other, much messier things in this code base. ;-)

>  I surely have some time
> to work on this during the next months (so target would be 3.5). I need
> to do things step-by-step (as I'm still learning), but would not like to
> start before we know what the steps should be.

Note that I didn't mean to put this all on your shoulder.  I've offered
to work on this in case this is a burden for you.  But if you are
willing to, then all the better. :-)

Best,

Kohei

--