[Libreoffice-ux-advise] new range name dialog proposal

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at suse.com
Thu Nov 3 09:01:36 PDT 2011

Hi Christoph,

On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 08:06 +0100, Christoph Noack wrote:
> I assumed that because also Excel only provides to update one name or
> range at a time.

Ah!  Well, this needs a bit more explanation, I suppose.  In short, this
assumption of yours is not entirely correct.

In Excel 2007 and up, the Name Manager dialog is in fact modal, and it
launches a separate sub dialog to allow editing of individual names one
at a time.  Whether it updates the name directly in the model directly
when it's updated in the dialog is unknown (since we don't know what
Excel does internally), but because the main Name Manager dialog is
modal, it won't perform re-calculation until that dialog is dismissed.
What this means is that Excel's name manager dialog only performs
re-calculation *once* even when you modify two or more names as long as
you don't dismiss the main dialog between the editing of the names.

Versions prior to Excel 2007 used different dialog set, which is much
similar to our current one, but the same principle still applies there
as well.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Kohei

--