[Libreoffice-ux-advise] new range name dialog proposal

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 19 23:03:32 PST 2011

Hello Christoph,

2011/11/17 Christoph Noack <christoph at dogmatux.com>:
> Hi Markus,
>
> I've got your questions ... and I'd like to reply via the list, since it
> makes it easier to follow the discussion, okay?

Sure, it was just around 6 a.m. after a long night of coding and I was
that tired that I did not feel comfortable writing a mail in English
;)

> Am Montag, den 07.11.2011, 19:46 +0100 schrieb Markus Mohrhard:
>> Hello Christoph, Astron,
>>
>> ok, I had an initial look at you design.
> [...]
>
> Concerning the error behavior, I've described the basic behavior I had
> in mind. Since you've mentioned that checking expressions might be not
> that easy, I've added two solution proposals (and like usual, my
> preferred one is most presumably harder to implement *g*).

Well, you'll get your error checking. I thought long about it and even
if it might create some problems I don't see another technical
solution at the moment.

> I also added the basic behavior for the Add and Cancel buttons.
>
> So here is the wiki change - I hope it is sufficiently described:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/index.php?title=Design%2FWhiteboard%
> 2FCalc_Range_Names&action=historysubmit&diff=40292&oldid=39809
>
> Finally, I noticed that I've used quite some strings ... and since I'm
> not a native speaker, may I forward the whiteboard content for string
> review to the documentation list?

Yes. I implemented for now your suggestions but it makes nearly no
work to change the strings as long as it is only a string change.

Now to my problems:

After implementing parts of the "Select Range" button I think it is
redundant. If you want to see the range then you can either go to the
range line directly or click the button after the range line and the
range is highlighted in the document. I think that for nearly all use
cases this should be enough.

I hope that beginning of next week the first big part of my work hits
master. It is only a rough plan and I'll drop you a second note as
soon as I pushed all my changes and think it is ready for some first
tests by you.

Regards,
Markus

P.S. Sorry for my bad english but it is again 8 a.m. after a long night coding.