[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Manage Names Dialog hit master

Stefan Knorr (Astron) heinzlesspam at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 25 06:08:39 PST 2011

Hi Markus,

just had a look at it and it is very nice work.

Some notes:

* As for functional limitations still remaining, you've outlined these
already, so there's no need to repeat these.

* I managed to crash the Manage Names dialogue once with the "Shrink"
button, but I think that is due to my usage of the still rather
crash-prone Gnome 3 backend.

* The most obvious (UI) issues I see are spacing issues. They should
be very easy to resolve. Please note that I determined the required
spacings by looking at vcl/source/src/print.src, in other parts of the
UI they are often slightly different – the Print dialogue, though, is
one of the newest pieces of the UI, so let's use that. Here is a list:

In Manage Names:
* all outer margins should be 5 UI units wide (these are very
different right now)
* all buttons should have the same 50 units width (except Select
Range), currently only the Help button is 50 UI units wide, all others
are 40 units wide
* all buttons should be 15 units high (they are currently 14 units high)
* between two adjacent buttons there should be a 5 units distance
* the line above the Help/OK/Cancel buttons needs to be better
positioned (centred between the button above and below) as well, I
guess it should have 5 units padding above and below it (curiously,
the Print dialogue nominally seems to use an 8 units thick line..?)
* the tick boxes below the Range Options expander should be a bit
closer to the expander – here I'd recommend to stray from the Print
dialogue a bit, it seems to use ~10 units above the expanded UI and ~5
below, reversing that seems sensible (5 above, 10 below)
* the labels before the Name/Range/Scope fields aren't centred
vertically, maybe they should move one unit lower

In Define Names:
* all outer margins 5 units, as in Manage Names
* the comments about button width/height/spacing from above apply here as well
* the Name and Range field are too high, they should probably be only
12 units high, as those in Manage Names are
* again, the labels before the input fields are not centred vertically
* the Range field should be longer
* the comments about the expander's contents apply, too

*Other UI problems:
** tabbing through the Manage Names dialogue seems quite illogical, as
pressing Tab often to goes backwards (ideally it should go top left to
bottom right while respecting logical sections of the dialogue) – I
didn't check Define Names, sorry
** in the Define Names dialogue, the string "RangeOptions" lacks a
space in between.
** the non-modal information bar needs a yellow background colour, the
current Notes background colour, although very light, would probably
suffice for the moment, but we could also go with straight yellow
(#FFF000) or maybe use a system colour...
** the non-modal information bar needs to be able to display two lines
of text, but you probably noticed that

OK, then you wrote...
> Then I have a little problem with moving headers in the table but
> except for that I think the dialogs' functions should be ok.

Hm... I don't really understand the first part... would you mind
explaining this to me?

By the way, thanks for your great work and dedication.

Best Regards,

Astron.