[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Manage Names Dialog hit master

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 27 04:39:02 PST 2011

Hello Stefan,

> * As for functional limitations still remaining, you've outlined these
> already, so there's no need to repeat these.
>
> * I managed to crash the Manage Names dialogue once with the "Shrink"
> button, but I think that is due to my usage of the still rather
> crash-prone Gnome 3 backend.

Could you give some details how you managed that. I should at least
confirm that this is really a gnome3 problem and not a generic one.

> * The most obvious (UI) issues I see are spacing issues. They should
> be very easy to resolve. Please note that I determined the required
> spacings by looking at vcl/source/src/print.src, in other parts of the
> UI they are often slightly different – the Print dialogue, though, is
> one of the newest pieces of the UI, so let's use that. Here is a list:
>
> In Manage Names:
> * all outer margins should be 5 UI units wide (these are very
> different right now)
done

> * all buttons should have the same 50 units width (except Select
> Range), currently only the Help button is 50 UI units wide, all others
> are 40 units wide

done

> * all buttons should be 15 units high (they are currently 14 units high)

done

> * between two adjacent buttons there should be a 5 units distance

done

> * the line above the Help/OK/Cancel buttons needs to be better
> positioned (centred between the button above and below) as well, I
> guess it should have 5 units padding above and below it (curiously,
> the Print dialogue nominally seems to use an 8 units thick line..?)

Do you really suggest that this line should be 8 units thick? I think
that the 2 or 3 units I use at the moment look nice.

> * the tick boxes below the Range Options expander should be a bit
> closer to the expander – here I'd recommend to stray from the Print
> dialogue a bit, it seems to use ~10 units above the expanded UI and ~5
> below, reversing that seems sensible (5 above, 10 below)

I hope that it is better now. This part is a bit tricky because some
parts need to be solved in code and it seems that the units do not map
nicely.

> * the labels before the Name/Range/Scope fields aren't centred
> vertically, maybe they should move one unit lower

done

> In Define Names:
> * all outer margins 5 units, as in Manage Names
done
> * the comments about button width/height/spacing from above apply here as well
done
> * the Name and Range field are too high, they should probably be only
> 12 units high, as those in Manage Names are
> * again, the labels before the input fields are not centred vertically
done
> * the Range field should be longer
done
> * the comments about the expander's contents apply, too
>

> *Other UI problems:
> ** tabbing through the Manage Names dialogue seems quite illogical, as
> pressing Tab often to goes backwards (ideally it should go top left to
> bottom right while respecting logical sections of the dialogue) – I
> didn't check Define Names, sorry

I know, I don't really know how the tab order is defined through the
src file. I need to dig into that next week

> ** in the Define Names dialogue, the string "RangeOptions" lacks a
> space in between.

done

> ** the non-modal information bar needs a yellow background colour, the
> current Notes background colour, although very light, would probably
> suffice for the moment, but we could also go with straight yellow
> (#FFF000) or maybe use a system colour...

I still have problems applying colors to the elements. I think we
should not hardcode colors but use the stlye colors.

> ** the non-modal information bar needs to be able to display two lines
> of text, but you probably noticed that

I did not yet look into that.

> OK, then you wrote...
>> Then I have a little problem with moving headers in the table but
>> except for that I think the dialogs' functions should be ok.
>
> Hm... I don't really understand the first part... would you mind
> explaining this to me?

The problem should now be solved. You can click at a separator in the
header bar and drag it. then the size of the column should be
increased. That did not work until saturday.

Thanks a lot for your great input. Please report any other problems you see.

Markus