[Libreoffice-ux-advise] F4 in spreadsheet

Christoph Noack christoph at dogmatux.com
Mon Sep 5 12:54:28 PDT 2011

Hi Cor, all!

Back from vacation and still smelling Italo's excellent pasta from the
Hackfest :-)

Am Samstag, den 27.08.2011, 14:54 +0200 schrieb Cor Nouws:
> Olivier Hallot wrote (27-08-11 02:50)
>
> > So what our UX friends think about moving "Repeat" to F4, "forever"?
> > Feasible? Advisable? Recomended?
>
> Ah, and of course you know the possibility to to change the current
> configuration with an extension or just an xml file, that you could both
> push in the package...

There is another option, although I'm not a friend of the today's
solution (since we alienate the existing user base). But with some
tweaks it might do the job very well ...

Kohei (as far as I know) added another "compatibility" pane to the
options dialog. This dialog "Excel-fies" some keybindings in a rush. In
a company (controlled rollout, stable user settings) this should work
very good.

But since we are on libreoffice-ux-advice, here is what I think might
work better:
      * use the given LibreOffice / OpenOffice.org keybindings per
        default
      * optional: move the compatibility functionality to "Tools -
        Customize" (basically, I assume it is a "Load..." keyboard
        settings) so that other modules benefit as well
      * add the keybinding F4 to the "Excel-fied" settings list

Olivier, Cor, Astron - might this doe the job? If yes, then we should
contact/add the Calc guys...

Personally, I think this would keep LibreOffice clean on the one side,
but would allow others to quickly tweak the setting if a migration is
needed. But we should have in mind that doing something like that causes
pain for those who change between LibreOffice installations with
different configuration (and sadly, keybindings are something you don't
see if you execute it blindly ... surprise, surprise).

Cheers,
Christoph