[Libreoffice-ux-advise] to duplicate an existing style

Astron heinzlesspam at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 7 12:54:39 PDT 2011

Hi.

> An important exception is the page style. You cannot build hierarchies of
> page styles. But for page styles the properties are not copied to the new
> page style, so that you have to start from scratch. So there is a deficiency
> in page styles: you have neither linking nor copying.

Why does this software have to be so inconsistent all the time?

> I guess, that adding "Copy" to the page styles will be easier than adding a
> linking feature. But I have not examined the code.

Could it be a good idea to just copy Scribus's behaviour [1]? It gives
you buttons for
[New]     [Clone]
[Import]  [Delete]
where "New" always creates a new empty style (that is, a copy of the
default style) and "Clone" creates a copy of the currently selected
style (btw, I like "Duplicate", as initially proposed by Olivier, much
better as a name for the button). Inheritances can then be defined
later on.
Ultimately, I don't think inheritances are very intuitive [2] and
there is probably not a very good way to present them to the user, so
we might as well try to keep them out of the hands of at least
inexperienced users.

Regards,

Astron.

[1] By that, I don't mean everything should be copied, only the
behaviour of the two buttons.
[2] They are powerful, though.