[Libreoffice-ux-advise] to duplicate an existing style

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Mon Sep 12 10:56:04 PDT 2011

Hi all,

[and now really all]

Rafael Rocha Daud schrieb:
> Hi Regina, all,
>
> did you mean we should have three entries: [New], [Child] and
> [Duplicate]?

Not really. The problem is to determine exactly what they should do and
naming them accordingly.

Currently the styles are inconsistent between their groups. Some examples:
For character styles "default" is not a real style, but is used to clear
settings. So you cannot link a style to "default" and cannot change
"default". But such is all possible with paragraph style "default".
For frame styles "default" doesn't exist. But if you create a "new"
style from "Formula" you have always the property "anchored to
character" and you cannot change it, even not, when you set the link to
"none".
You cannot link page styles and cannot link list styles. If you use
"new" the default properties of the "numbering" or "page" is used. It
seems you cannot duplicate the style, but that's wrong. You can
duplicate these styles, but that is not in the context menu.

Another point is, what users know from other applications. It might be
good not to give a minimal choice, but some more, although the result
can be achieved over a different way with the minimal choice options.

  Would this "child style" not be just the same as "new style
> based on..."? Even if so, maybe your naming is clearer: I should know
> that the "child style" keeps a relation with the "parent style": the
> inheritance. This could be clearer and help distinguish between Child
> and Duplicate, since "new style based on..." doesn't imply, at least
> doesn't seem to imply the inheritance relation, so it would be just the
> same as "duplicate".

"New based on" seems not clear to me. It can mean "link" or "duplicate
without link" as well.

As mentioned above, the first step should be, to define the desired
behavior exactly. Then a suitable name can be found. Then we can look
which behavior is already implemented, which has to be altered and which
needs to be implemented newly.

Kind regards
Regina