[Libreoffice-ux-advise] embedding palettes etc. ...

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Wed Sep 14 13:11:55 PDT 2011

Hi all,

Michael Meeks schrieb:
> Hi guys,
>
> 	I've recently been working on enabling embedding palettes / bitmaps /
> gradients / etc. into ODF documents - and I've implemented import/export
> for all of that [ only for impress currently ].

Why only in impress?

> 	I just pushed a change adding a check-box to allow the user to
> configure this embedding to master (cf. attached screenshot "[X]
> Embed").

Will the user find the new feature?

How does the user get the name of the embedded palette?

Is the palette embedded in document templates too?

Can the palette be transfered from one document to another?

> 	Of course, when you start to look at the 'Area' dialog - you begin to
> wonder why this is the place used to configure the choice of palette
> (and all these other attributes) in random tabs for the document - and
> not for the specific area you selected. That seems rather non-intuitive
> to me :-)

I like to see the dialogs for changing/loading/saving palettes
completely separated from the property dialog of a single object. Make
it a separate dialog, make it available in all of Calc, Writer, Impress
and Draw and in addition remove the color setting tab from the options
dialog.

> 	In an ideal world, we'd have some (easy to implement) central place for
> embedding things into the document: perhaps File->Properties or some
> equivalent that would show you:
>
> 	* embedded palette, fill bitmap, hatch, line-dash etc.
> 	* embedded media files [ I'll try to dig into this next ;-]
> 	* embedded gallery [ also a wish-list ]
> 	* embedded related data files [ deep-future wish-list ]
>
> 	And some nice linking mechanism 'configure palette' or whatever that
> would take the user there from the 'Area' dialog (?)

See above, not to the Area dialog, but a new dialog to handle palettes.

Having another information tab in the properties is OK for me. Seamonkey
has such an information dialog for HTML-pages and I like it there.

> 	Anyhow - testing / thoughts / ideas appreciated. There are still some
> slightly rough corners in the interactions there, palettes think they
> are modified when they are not first time but ...
>
> 	Hopefully it'll be in the next tinderbox build to play with, and I plan
> to extend it to all these tabs (for now).

Embedding color or line palettes will not increase the file size too
much, but embedding a bitmap palette will increase the file size quickly
with some MB, if the user has photos in it. The problem is not the
picture, that the document currently uses -that has to be stored in the
file anyway-, but the ten or twenty others, which are not used.

So the question is, what default has the checkbox.

kind regards
Regina