[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Hiding/Showing the page breaks in writer

Christoph Noack christoph at dogmatux.com
Thu Sep 15 14:05:35 PDT 2011

Hi Cedric, all!

Am Mittwoch, den 14.09.2011, 14:53 +0200 schrieb Cedric Bosdonnat:
> Hi all,
>
> With the Header/Footer feature work, the page break have been reworked
> and are now shown with the Non-Printing characters instead of the Text
> Boundaries.

Quick question: Is there already another "non-printing indicator"
besides the line that explains what has been added (br = icon)? You
remember the discussion about...

+--+\
|br| +-----------------------------------------------
+--+/

... next to the top page border.

> At least two persons are arguing that it's more logical to have them
> with the Text Boundaries like before... any thought?

In this case, I fear nothing is logical ... it is rather a matter of
personal preference and what people already know. The non-printing
characters are visualizing the "control command", whereas the line tries
to explain the result, the "new page".

Thus, if we want to keep the pages as clean as possible, then the
"non-printing character" behavior is the better approach (unfortunately,
we miss a good alternative like the Draft view). If there are more
people who really miss that functionality, the "formatting aids" options
are the way to go.

That said, I haven't checked the daily builds during the last days...

Cheers,
Christoph