[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Hiding/Showing the page breaks in writer

Cedric Bosdonnat cedric.bosdonnat.ooo at free.fr
Fri Sep 16 00:29:41 PDT 2011

Hi Christoph,

On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 23:05 +0200, Christoph Noack wrote:
> Quick question: Is there already another "non-printing indicator"
> besides the line that explains what has been added (br = icon)? You
> remember the discussion about...
>
> +--+\
> |br| +-----------------------------------------------
> +--+/
>
> ... next to the top page border.

I still haven't implemented that button and won't until I get rid of the
layout loops due to the Header/Footer tab. But I added a "Manual Page
Break" / "Manual Column Break" on top of the line as you mentioned.

> > At least two persons are arguing that it's more logical to have them
> > with the Text Boundaries like before... any thought?
>
> In this case, I fear nothing is logical ... it is rather a matter of
> personal preference and what people already know. The non-printing
> characters are visualizing the "control command", whereas the line tries
> to explain the result, the "new page".
>
> Thus, if we want to keep the pages as clean as possible, then the
> "non-printing character" behavior is the better approach (unfortunately,
> we miss a good alternative like the Draft view). If there are more
> people who really miss that functionality, the "formatting aids" options
> are the way to go.

Ok. Many thanks for sharing your thoughts... I'll probably leave it as
is for the moment. There are much more important things to fix ;)

Regards,

--
Cédric Bosdonnat
LibreOffice hacker