[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Hiding/Showing the page breaks in writer

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Fri Sep 16 06:55:39 PDT 2011

Hi,

[cut'n paste Oliviers full mail in a reply on Cedrics, to get it
threaded again]

Olivier R. wrote (16-09-11 01:23)

> About hiding/showing the page breaks in Writer, we were 4 people to
> disagree with the idea of showing them only with the non printable
> characters.
>
> Only 2 agreed with the idea.
> And one of us agreed with both sides. ;)
>
> (The discussion was on the French mailing-list.)
>
> The text boundaries are useful informations. And the text is just
> unreadable with non printable characters. What’s the point of burying
> page breaks in an unreadable mode? The page breaks are major elements to
> understand a document structure, like text boundaries, and have more
> importance than whitespaces. That’s what we were saying.
>
> My suggestion was :
> - show the already existing almost unnoticable lines if the non printing
> characters are not displayed (like text boundaries),
> - display the very shiny new page breaks with the non printing characters.
>
> Displaying only the page breaks with the non printable characters would
> just make Writer just unusable and will hide the document structure for
> many of us who feel that it’s an important point to create
> well-organized documents.

I like your suggestion.
Most important is that I support the view that hard page breaks should
not be hidden with the non printing characters.

The current implementation is red - was good with the old style text
boundaries. In the current situation, light blue is clear too and less
distracting (to be honest, I had a patch ready for that weeks ago, just
before Cedric started to change it ;-) )

--
  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org