[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Java GUI for Libre-Office Based Android App(s)

Mirek M. mazelm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 11:02:53 PDT 2012

2012/4/26 Tor Lillqvist <tml at iki.fi>

> > Which three aspects? Writer, Impress, and Calc or Writer, Impress, and
> Draw?
>
> Writer, Impress and Calc. I doubt LO's vector-drawing functionality is
> that relevant in the tablet marketspace, surely there are much better
> apps for that?

Draw could be a great vector editor if it made color management better (we
have a whiteboard for that, too, by the way [1]).

That said, I always saw Draw more as a desktop publishing application, as
its UI centers around pages, which have little to do in a vector drawing
program.

In any case, I hope you reconsider making a Draw port for tablets. I heard
Draw shares a lot of code with Impress, and UI-wise, it's very similar to
impress as well, so I'm guessing that porting it might not be that painful.

> (That said, I don't actually know if that is true;
> after all vector drawing is a niche, bitmap-based drawing is what the
> public in general understands...)

You're right -- the general public hasn't warmed up to vector editing yet.
I believe the best image editor would merge the features of bitmap and
vector editors, in a way similar to Macromedia/Adobe Fireworks.

I don't think there's a good vector editor out there for tablets, certainly
not an open-source one. There seem to be more tablet office suites than
vector editors.

> Base, well, it is rather un-loved even on desktops. Of course, this is
> just my opinion/impression...

I agree.

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Color_Handling