[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Proposed changes

Mirek M. mazelm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 09:14:52 PST 2012

Hi Cédric,

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Cedric Bosdonnat <cbosdonnat at suse.com>wrote:

> Hi Mirek,
>
> I started on these, and after some investigations there are points on
> which I don't fully agree.
>
> * Remove the selection mode button, have selection mode activated
> > using right-click or long tap on any of the templates, show a "Done"
> > button on the toolbar when in selection mode for deactivating the
> > mode, such as seen on Android or Gnome [1][2][3].
>
> If you check carefully the Gnome Documents application, you'll see that
> the "Selection mode" button is there too... which makes sense: otherwise
> nobody will think of right-click to select items.

As said on the IRC chat, the selection mode is meant for touch input only.
It would be activated using right-click if the operating system
automatically converts a long-tap into a right-click (as I don't have a
tablet, I have no way to test this).
Long-push to select is a standard on all of the major touch-based operating
systems, so it should be discoverable for tablet users.

Mouse users will select objects using an on-hover checkbox, just like in
various web applications, and the Marlin and Dolphin file browsers. They
won't use the selection mode.

To keep consistent with that idea, we may not want to show the check
> boxes when hovering on items, but only in selection mode.

Not sure what you mean by this.

> I'm also pretty annoyed by that pseudo-Macos look of the filtering
> buttons... couldn't we have something less inspired from some
> OS-specifics?

Fun fact: the filtering buttons were based on Gnome's new design approach
[1] -- nothing to do with Mac OS X. I was assuming that it is a standard
GTK+ widget, as the widget plays an important part in Clocks + some other
planned Gnome applications, and that the GTK+ guys already have a way to
theme it based on the OS.

However, as it turns out that it's not that simple, I'd definitely agree on
adopting a regular tabbed widget instead.

Changing these buttons into something less
> visually-imposing would also give some more importance to the Selection
> Mode button.

As above, please keep the Selection mode button hidden.