[Libreoffice-ux-advise] new listbox in calc options pages

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Wed Dec 12 14:30:29 PST 2012

Kohei Yoshida wrote (12-12-12 21:07)
> On 12/12/2012 01:32 AM, Cor Nouws wrote:
>> Hi Markus & team ;-)
>>
>> Markus Mohrhard wrote (07-12-12 22:35)
>>
>>> Since 4.0 we are able to use the cached values written into OOXML
>>> files to prevent a slow recalculation when opening a file. Hoewever
>>> Excel and Calc don't always give the same result for formulas so we
>>> (Eike, Kohei and me) agreed that we need to give the user a choice
>>> wether to recalculate the formulas or not. This is already implemented
>>> [...]
>>
>> It's not only a matter of speed and not always giving the same results.
>> Unless I'm misinformed, it's a drastic change in behaviour.
>
> No it's not a "drastic change in behavior".  That to me is a gross
> dramatization of this change.  But that's just a difference of opinion I
> guess.

I would say that - also in the very special cases - one can be
(almost..) sure that the results on opening are the same as when saved,
is a considerable change.
But I agree, choosing words here is a matter of taste.

>> For the
>> first time, users are sure they can always (?) open an Excel-sheet and
>> be sure that what they see is what they get... I mean what they see is
>> what has been saved.
>
> Yes (if I interpret your wording correctly).  The formula results at the
> time of the last save are what get cached and what get loaded, both in
> ods and xlsx.

Yes, that is what I mean.

> [snipped in]
> Ah I should also point out that there are exceptions to this rule.  If a
> cell contains what's called volatile function which need recalculating
> on every input change, that cell gets recalculated on load.  Examples
> are cells containging NOW() and TODAY(), and there may be other
> functions that are in this category.
> [\snipped in]
>

>> Especially in larger sheets, and those where undocumented or not yet
>> solved differences in behaviour (reg. arguments or ranges for some
>> formulae) exist.
>
> I'm not sure I fully understand this sentence,

(sometimes Calc functions behave different with arguments that should be
optional, sorting of ranges, different date within a referred range and
such.
This is a second reason for different results that sometimes occur, then
differences in processors, floating points, software versions.)

> but I'll just say there
> may be some instances in some corners where the formula get calculated
> differently, to a varying degree depending on the version and
> application (Calc vs Excel).

Clear.

>> I know some of those examples from real life.
>> Is my understanding correct?
>
> I believe so.

OK, thanks for your further explanation.
I'll make to poste my draft text.

  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org
  - www.librelex.org