[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Template manager : feedback

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Dec 17 11:14:22 PST 2012

Hi there,

On Mon, 2012-12-17 at 09:24 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:
> Who has the right to decide how many folder levels the user should use
> to organize his own data ?

	The UX team are broadly responsible for making our product as easy to
use as possible - so in the end they are responsible :-) We discuss that
stuff here.

> > Please don't sacrifice 80% of our users for the 5% sado-masochists
> > that like organising things into folders.
>
> Please provide references supporting that statement.

	In my experience few people provide academic and rigorous references
for every point they make in a discussion, nor is it that reasonable to
ask for them :-) To be sure the above is written in rather a stark
way ;-) you can be a non-sado-masochist and still use folders (I do
myself) - but they seem to be non-optimal design metaphors.

	I like Cedric's compromise: if we have to deal with structured
hierarchical storages remotely - then it is going to be hard to do that
without showing that hierarchy somehow. Then again - we should clearly
strive to make it as easy as possible for users locally: with nicely
organised flat presentations and search (if that's what the UX guys are
advising).

	That's my 2 cents anyhow,

	HTH,

		Michael.