[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Template manager : feedback

Stefan Knorr heinzlesspam at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 12:19:17 PST 2012

Hi Jean-Baptiste, all,

On Mon, 2012-12-17 at 09:24 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:
> Why ?
> Who has the right to decide how many folder levels the user should use
> to organize his own data ?

We :)

We could extend LibreOffice by a function to make sandwiches for
instance, and people do occasionally eat in the office, too. But how
much sense does it make? Where do we fall into the full-featured but
half-baked trap?
If it makes sense for users, why not restrict them?

> > Please don't sacrifice 80% of our users for the 5% sado-masochists
> > that like organising things into folders.
>
> Please provide references supporting that statement.

First of all, sorry for the strong language... not really appropriate.

Secondly, Mirek above linked to a piece about why deep file structures
might not make sense. The blog of Dave Richards (who supports a large
LibreOffice on Linux/Gnome user base for a municipality) is maybe a bit
more down-to-earth, though. The topic of file management really is one
of the recurring themes of his blog... see, e.g. the following two posts
(this is from a cursory glance at his archive, you'll certainly find
more):
http://davelargo.blogspot.de/2012/05/libreoffice-data-and-notes-let-computer.html
http://davelargo.blogspot.de/2012/06/user-instructions-for-usb.html

Astron.