[Libreoffice-ux-advise] The "no border text" feature in Writer 3.5 is not complete

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Fri Feb 17 03:22:38 PST 2012

Hi NoOp,

On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 20:31 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> There will be much "you should have tested", "you should have pointed it
> out earlier"; unfortunately, the primary users will not have discovered
> the "improvement"/"feature" was released in the 'new & improved version'
> and would not have noticed until they upgraded from 3.4 to 3.5.

	Sure - so they are utterly dis-connected from development :-) Perhaps
if they have such a passionate need for XYZ feature - this will
encourage them to be more interested in development, perhaps it might
even help them be interested in running our release candidates and doing
pre-release testing, perhaps if they can't get what they want, they
might even be inspired to pay for development to help move the product
in the good direction that they like to go in.

	It is -even-possible- that they might be polite and friendly to the
developers that do the coding, and -winsomely- persuade them to do
something else. Although, that does seem quite a stretch I admit ! :-)

	Here is the thing - for any given change - *anything* there will be
someone to whinge about it. Leadership is sifting the whinges from the
legitimate concerns & having the courage of your convictions in this
regard. It is simply impossible to please all the people all of the
time.

	As such, I think Cedric is doing a great job of leadership :-)

	More to the point I would -hate- to build a culture of giving in to
whingers: we will never change anything on that basis. It is one thing
to have a lot of people moaning about how the UI is bad, and don't we
need to change it. It is another to try to make the life of one of the
premier people helping to improve the UI miserable.

	IIRC, Cedric has the full support of the ESC on this, as/when we
discussed it.

	Of course - if you want to write some code, to add an option, to allow
users to re-introduce that border: and make it purple and ten pixels
thick as well ;-) then please feel free - we'll review it and perhaps
merge it too. We like to talk code. If there is no-one with any coding
skills that holds your point of view, then it is clearly a vanishing
minority one :-)

	As such - can we discuss constructive solutions, preferably backed by
real code.

	All the best,

		Michael.