[Libreoffice-ux-advise] ux-advise advice

Jean-Francois Nifenecker jean-francois.nifenecker at laposte.net
Sat Feb 18 13:10:35 PST 2012

Michael, Stefan,

thanks for your time and for making me feel guilty for not joining the
devs bandwagon ;-)

Le 18/02/2012 19:45, Stefan Knorr (Astron) a écrit :

> On 18 February 2012 17:22, Jean-Francois Nifenecker
> <jean-francois.nifenecker at laposte.net>  wrote:
>> In a former part of my professional life, I had been an unofficial part-time
>> programmer (Turbo-Pascal, Object Pascal then Delphi).
>
> Do get involved in hacking if you have the necessary skills and
> interest, though! That's the thing that gets the project somewhere.

I know, I know... I guess it's time to have a go and at least check if
it is in my reach. I'll read the relevant pages and see what comes. No
promises, though.

> Sounds like a good idea if you'd stay on ux-advise, I guess.

:)

> See also Michael's wise words about self-selection.

Noted.

> In any case what always qualifies you most in a meritocratic project
> is doing stuff and doing it good (in some subjective way).

Yes, this is how Libre software works. This is a good thing but very big
projects like LibO then are difficult to embrace. Even though I've been
little involved with OOo (user documentation) , I'm far from knowing
what's in the core of the project (of course, the same goes for LibO).

> I think you misunderstand the page. It's about people that are on the
> design list also being on the user lists (where community support
> happens) and also about people forwarding stuff to design where
> appropriate.

Ok

>> Otherwise, this would mean that design decisions are made here by devs
>> without refering to anyone in the Desing team.
>
> That happens and is IMHO not a bad thing (virtually all things done in
> code will affect user experience). This project relies on the fact
> that everybody acts in the best interest of it and of course, on peer
> review. Of course, mistakes will happen, but that's hard to avoid.

Well, if the project works that way... "If it is not broken, don't mend it".

Best regards,
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux