[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Artwork licensing

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Jul 23 03:15:11 PDT 2012

Hi Mirek,

On Sun, 2012-07-22 at 18:31 +0200, Mirek M. wrote:
> Given that it's unlikely that we'll get an okay from the Gnome icon
> authors to relicense their work under the MPL anytime soon

	I wouldn't despair of that, I'll be at GUADEC to meet with them next
week :-) For now we're using the gnome-icon-theme CC-by-SA rubric that
they asked for in our license file for 3.6.0 RC3.

> perhaps we could think about licensing all LibreOffice artwork under
> the more art-appropriate cc-by license from now on. This would not
> only decrease confusion around licensing in LibreOffice, but would
> also make it easier for differently-licensed projects to incorporate
> our Tango icons and for us to exchange Tango icons with Gnome.
> Would that be a possibility? What is your take on this?

	Well - I'd need to get some advice on that. My concern is an endless
proliferation of individual artists' credits for each icon - it is
really unclear to me how that is supposed to work. In general I'd be
much happier with an adjusted credits.html page that captures artistic
input - indeed - I've poked Spaetz about that - but no feedback yet.

	There are great benefits to uniform licensing IMHO.

	ATB,

		Michael.