[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Repo / place for original artwork files (was: Re: [PUSHED] Make new About dialogue a little nicer)

Stefan Knorr heinzlesspam at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 18 05:53:00 PDT 2012

Hi Thorsten,

> great stuff, nice fresh look! :)

Thanks, I guess ... though it's still mostly Andrew's work.

> Somewhat tangential to that, I'd like to trigger a decision-making
> process on where to store original artwork files (svg I presume, for
> the most).

All SVG, I'd hope, actually.

> With the above patch, and some icon theme reworks, we now have svg
> graphics in git, that is, version-controlled. At the same time,
> we've historically kept them archived in the wiki
> (version-controlled as well via mediawiki revisions):
>
>  http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Visual_Elements
>
> I have no personal preference, other than the fact that it would be
> nice to standardize on one default, authoritative place.

In our weekly design chat, we discussed how to best handle this, too:

wiki pro: image previews, wiki pages as context, easy uploading, easy
downloading, easy registration, no command line tools necessary

wiki con: no folder structures possible, no good way of retrieving all
the newest relevant files

git pro: downloading possible through cgit (~easy), folder structures,
cloning retrieves the latest versions of everything

git con: no image previews, server sets wrong MIME type – everything
opens in the text editor, necessitates use of command line for
committing, registration requires third-party manual process

Our conclusion was that experiments should still happen within the wiki,
but for stuff that is authoritative or in-product already, we could use
git. However, the first two git cons really hurt even then.

We we weren't sure if we really needed a new git repository or if "core"
would suffice – icon SVG's for instance wouldn't hurt, because they're
excluded from builds anyway. For other stuff, like our whole initial
branding stuff, we would need at least a new folder though (which
wouldn't be part of the build process).

> And even more tangential: please remember, for all artwork bearing
> "The Document Foundation", that we typically need two versions of
> that - one official, with the TDF tagline, for use from
> 'TDF-approved' artifacts, and one without, for default,

Thanks for the hint, will add such a version to the about box.

Astron.